City Dance Corps is proud to welcome to Toronto the award-winning Master Teacher, performer and choreographer Natalia Hills and the legendary and multi-awarded Master Teacher Alejandro Aquino.
Natalia and Alejandro will be bringing us a series of special workshops in technique and musicality, a special Milonga, in addition to their renowned Forum "Aquino-Hills". They will also be available for private lessons all weekend.
NATALIA HILLS was one of the dancers in the original cast of the Broadway and London hit "Forever Tango" and the recipient of a 1997 Tony Award and Drama Desk nomination for Best Choreography.
Her Broadway debut was at the Walter Kerr and Marquis Theater. During her association with the company (1995-2005) she performed in major cities throughout North America, Asia and Europe, as well as for the historical opera house Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires ,Argentina. Born in Buenos Aires , she began her theatrical career at the age of 12 and soon appeared as both a dancer and a choreographer in various national and international productions.
In March 1995, she debuted in "Forever Tango" in San Francisco followed by the show's successful London run at Convent Garden. That same year she was specifically invited to perform in honor of Princess Diana Spencer at the British Embassy in Argentina .
In the summer of 1998, Natalia appeared in the long-running, popular PBS series "Evening at Pops" with the Boston Pops Orchestra with Leslie Caron as a hosted.
Some highlights in her extensive and extraordinary career:
• Performed with Forever Tango at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
• Appearance in the NBC's Today Show
• La Biennale de la Dance, in Lyon-France
• Featured dancer at the International Tango Festival in Toulouse, France.
• Hollywood Bowl as principal dancer in a series of concerts with the Los Angeles Philharmonic presenting the music of Astor Piazzolla, conducted by Miguel Hart-Bedoya with direction and choreography by Hector Zaraspe.
• With " Forever tango" on Broadway at New York's Shubert Theater
• Performed at the prestigious Kodak Theater of Hollywood- CA
• And many other appearances and shows around the world
Learning Tango from a certified master of the 80's and a multi-awarded artist is a priceless experience for any seasoned enthusiast.
Not everyone of this Tango generation will know who Alejandro Aquino is unless one has been into it for many years or is addicted to the point of doing researches about this passionate dance from the past. Specially hand-picked by Osvaldo Pugliese to be his signature dancer for his numerous concerts abroad together with the legendary Vanina Bilous, one can easily spot the style and quality the man can offer.
Prior to beginning his career as a tango dancer, Alejandro Aquino finished his studies at the Instituto Superior de Arte del Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires, where he subsequently became a member of the corps de ballet. In 1985 he was a featured dancer at Teatro Alvear, together with principal dancers of the Teatro Colon.
Some highlights in his extensive and extraordinary career:
• Alejandro was chosen by Maestro Osvaldo Pugliese, composer, orchestra leader and one of the most important figures in the history of tango music, to join the Orquesta Osvaldo Pugliese on tour in America, Asia and Europe. Among these was the historic concert of Osvaldo Pugliese and Astor Piazzolla at the Royal Carre Theatre in Amsterdam, Holland on June 26,1989.
• Performed in the famous Aldwych West End Theater in London with the legendary company “Tango Argentino” of Claudio Segovia and Hector Orezzolli. Among the guests were Lady Diana Spencer and singer Elton John
• In 1992 he created his first complete work – “Tangueros” with the sponsorship of the Festival Internacional: “Oriente - Ocidente” of Trento and Roverto in Italy and was the artistic director, choreographer and scenic director of a dance company bearing the same name presented with great success and critically acclaimed bringing the most Important musicians of the genre.
• From 1997 – 2011 Alejandro establishes himself in Italy and dedicates himself to teaching and to transmitting his knowledge of Tango in all of Europe
• In 2003 creates and produces the show “Homenage a OsvladoPugliese” with the Orquesta Color Tango led by Roberto Alvarez, and presented personally by Lidia Pugliese. The show subsequently toured in Italy.
WELCOME MILONGA: Friday November 23. 9PM - 2AM with DJ Jason Jiang
$25 Cover (HST included)
Purchase a Weekend Workshop Bundle (3 Workshops and the Forum) and save 12.5%. Individual workshops are $45 +HST; Forum is $25 +HST.
Friday November 23. 6pm to 730pm - Forum “Aquino-Hills”
The Special Forum "Aquino-Hills" is a documentary presentation with footage of photo and video. The artists will relate their experiences as protagonists during the late 1980's in the revival of the dance of tango. This tour will inspire the new generation to preserve the Tango as a dance.
Sunday November 25. 4pm to 530pm - Pure Technique I
PURE TECHNIQUE is a workshop that will focus on specific technique for couples, including leading with clear signals and follow with fluid movements.
Sunday November 25. 5:30pm to 7pm - Musical Interpretation in Puglieses
Musical Interpretation in Pugliese is a workshop that focus on interpreting Pugliese on the social dance floor, including phrasing, accents, dynamics and pauses.
Monday November 26. 8pm to 930pm - Musical Interpretation in Milonga
Musical Interpretation in Milonga is a workshop that will focus on changing dynamics, accents and giros.
ARGENTINE TANGO FOR BEGINNERS
Saturday November 24. 12pm to 3pm - Argentine Tango Beginner’s Bootcamp
Join world renowned Tango Masters, Alejandro Aquino and Natalia Hill in this 3 hour Argentine Tango Bootcamp designed for Beginners. Dancers will be introduced with the most important concepts to start dancing this beautiful style. No partner or dance experience required!
Beginner’s Bootcamp: $80.00 +HST
Forum: $25.00 +HST
Single Workshop: $45.00 +HST
3 Workshops & Forum Bundle: $140.00 +HST (Includes all 3 workshops and the Forum)
Beginner’s Bootcamp: $80.00 +HST
Private Lessons for one student with one teacher: $160.00 Cash Only
Private Lessons for two students with one teacher: $185.00 Cash Only
To book your Private Lessons with Natalia Hills and Alejandro Aquino, email email@example.com. Limited spots available.